Friday, November 11, 2011

Beethoven - Symphony no. 9


So... I watched the movie "Copying Beethoven" recently and I, of course, enjoyed the music, so I want to share it with you all. The video is taken from the movie.

I'll admit to not having heard the symphony in its entire length as it is over an hour long, but I have heard this short version a couple of times and the Ode To Joy several times. I've even learned some of it on keyboard :) You can listen to the entire symphony here.
In the movie the woman is showing Beethoven how to conduct, because he was deaf, but still wanted to conduct. This actually happened, though the one sharing the work of the conduction was named Michael Umlauf and he did not hide among the orchestra. Also the fact that he could not hear the applause until he was turned around to face the audience could be true.
This was the first time a major composer had used vocal parts in a symphony.
You can find more information here. Wikipedia is awesome and, I'm hoping, mostly correct :p

I hope you like it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment